Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter and Happy Passover

Hi there!
I am typing this blog after a 65 hour work week and 18 hour training week. It’s amazing, if someone told me months ago that I would have weeks like this, I would have thought to myself, “how”. Our bodies adapt though, and if the physical stress is brought on in the right way, gradual (thanks Coach D), then our bodies will go with the flow.

I worked off site Tues- Thurs and my work days began with 7:50 am ferry rides and ended on the 9:20 pm ferry heading home. This required getting up at 5:00 for workouts. One morning I was so tired as I got onto the rollers that I turned on the TV only to realize that I had no contacts in my eyes and I grabbed the wrong glasses.

Everything worked out though and I am one week closer to my Ultraman goal.

Swim- It was awesome to get back in the water, my yardage was over 9,000 this week with a mix of longer sets and pyramids. I am still anxious to get into Lake Washington but with a forecast of possible low land snow on Tuesday that may be put off for a few more weeks.

Bike- I had a great bike week. 1 Roller and 2 road rides. Yesterday’s 65 mile ride with probably 6,000’ of climbing was the highlight of the week. We rode with our new friend Dave who rides hills like he rides flats. It’s awesome to ride with someone who likes the hills as much as us. He knows Bainbridge Island really well so he took us on new roads and confirmed my suspicion that Bainbridge doesn’t have any flat stretches of more than a ½ mile long, perfect training grounds for Ultraman Canada.

Run- I really have to give a “shout out” to my friend and co worker Darren. It can take a lot to get up the energy for a run after swimming early in the morning and working all day. If you have someone to run with, it really makes it easier. Each week I have at least 1 day where running after one of those long days seems daunting. I will usually hunt around the office for Darren to see if he’ll run with me. He almost always says yes. Even if he has already worked out or doesn’t want to run, he laces up. Even this past Friday… it was 5:00pm on a Friday afternoon, Darren, who’s a single 20 something yr old, surely had better things to do than go for a run with me, especially since he already worked out. He laced up anyway. He doesn’t know it but his running with me is a huge part of my training and will for sure be one of the reasons why I cross that finish line on August 3rd. BTW, I did say he’s a “single 20 something year old”, know any “single, active 20 something yr old women?”
My long run was 2 ½ hours on the trails, it was as beautiful as ever, a light rain in the green forest. Although, after 6,000’ of climbing the day before, I was a bit on the slow side. I can always tell when I’m running slow because Cadie will pick up sticks for me to throw because she can’t tell if it’s running time or play time…

Strength- I only got one day of strength training in although I tried to make up for it by doing extra sit ups and push ups at home.

Gear Pick- Amphipod Race-Lite Triathlon Transition Pack
I use this pack everyday, It has a pocket on the bottom that holds wet stuff (big enough for a wet suit), 2 side zips that hold my running shoes, a big inside part for my computer and clothes, another smaller zip pocket for other stuff, and other misc pockets. I have never had a pack before that not only keeps my dirty shoes away from other stuff but they can also be zipped secure so I don’t have to worry about them when I bike commute. It also sits low enough that is doesn’t interfere with my bike helmet and is super comfortable to ride with. It retails for $125 and worth every penny.

Thanks for reading! Also- LMK if you would like to join in on the training fun!!
bth_brewster@yahoo.com

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment